Rules and Guidelines
2013 Composition Contest for Wind Ensemble
- Composition should be at a difficulty level appropriate for a very good High School Wind Ensemble. Examples of standard literature that is of this level includes: Vaughn Williams: Sea Songs; Chance: Variations on a Korean Folk Song; Zdechilk: Chorale and Shaker Dance; Ives: Variation on America
- Composition should be written for standard Wind Ensemble instrumentation (see instrumentation list).
- Style is at the composer’s discretion.
- Length is at the composer’s discretion, however, it is recommended that compositions not be less than two minutes nor more than ten minutes.
- Composition must be currently unpublished by a major publisher (self-publication is acceptable).
- All entries must be received electronically. Score (pdf) and recording (mp3) must be received by December 1, 2012. Late entries will not be considered. Application form, score and recording may be uploaded to http://pmcp.monroe.edu.
- One entry per composer may be submitted.
- Compositions will be judged by the members of the Penfield High School Wind Ensemble. Six (6) finalists will be announced no later than January 31, 2013.
- Finalists must submit printed score and parts by February 15, 2013. Scores and parts will not be returned.
- Winners will be announced on April 1st, 2013. Judges reserve the right not to award prizes.
- First place winner must be available for coaching and/or conducting the Penfield High School Wind Ensemble on May 20/21, 2013.
MUSIC DEPARTMENT CHAIR
PENFIELD CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT